Wednesday, February 15, 2012

The Odyssey (Books 1-5)

The main ideas and themes I find in the opening verses of Book 1 are the focus on Odysseus's voyage home and the coming of age of his son, Telemachus. Since the Trojan War, Odysseus is being trapped on the island by Calypso, woman who will not let him go because she loves him too deeply. Back at home, his family, Telemachus and wife Penelope, have come to the conclusion he is dead. Telemachus does not enjoy the suitors and wants to fill the void of family man. He wants to be the man of the house and hates competing his mother's suitors. I think these two ideas od Odysseus's voyage home and Telemachus coming of age are important because I believe this is what the story is about. I do not believe this novel is based on Odysseus's life alone. I believe it is like the Bible, most people think it is all about God but in turn, it's about all the people involved WITH God. Also, the poetic voice serves a nice backdrop to the tense situation. It brings in a sort of calmness and artistic vibe even though the whole situation itself is dark and dramatic.
I think we hear Telemachus's story first because as I said before, I feel the story is not solely based on Odysseus. As the Bible is often confused for only being about God, The Odyssey is often confused with just begin about the life and struggle of the home voyage for Odysseus. I believe the Odyssey will be based on Telemachus's journey to discover who he is and if he can fill the void of being the man of the family. Also, it will be about him coming forward with age and how his mom, Penelope, handles it. I feel Penelope will also be a main point because she doesn't know her husband is alive but has all these suitors at her feet to become the new father/husband role in the home.

No comments:

Post a Comment